What We Do
*Sample products are included with hyperlinks, below
- Training: I train experts, advocates and issue-based coalitions in the science of framing and evidence-based communications through workshops, intensive hands-on technical assistance, and framing audits of a client’s existing communications materials.
- Content Development: I develop all manner of messaging materials to help advocates deploy evidence-based communications in their public facing communications. This includes framing memos that synthesize existing framing research on an issue, messaging toolkits (talking points, sample op-eds, LTEs, etc.), infographics, websites (Example A, Example B), direct mail pieces and video PSAs (Example 1, Example 2).
- Storytelling with Data: I offer strategic advising on data-based advocacy, and develop data visualizations that more effectively communicate the causes, consequences and solutions to social problems. See the NEW online data platform on child well-being that I created for Spark NH: Visualizing Child Well-Being in New Hampshire
- Intensive Technical Assistance: I offer strategic advising on communications efforts, from coalition work during a legislative session to statewide public engagement campaigns; I also develop communications plans and logic models for communications efforts.
- Original Framing Research: Original research is conducted to explore and assess the ways citizens reason about social issues, to determine the impact of those reasoning patterns on messaging strategies, and to test potential reframes that might improve support for our clients' policy agendas. We do not use traditional polling, but draw from methods in social and cognitive science that allow analysis not just of what people say but how they think. We use in-depth interviewing (IDI), focus groups, and experimental surveys.